Court in session

I have been experiencing the defect of judgement both within myself and in others all my life. Some of you, I believe, will relate. Is it a human trait to need labels and judgments to make sense of this world? Or is it just fear… for it certainly does not feel loving.

This need to criticise and be right about everything is a source of much conflict in the world. It’s certainly easier to see faults in others and I’d be the first to admit to this very defect. So the question is, how can we focus on similarities in one another instead of being busy running our own judgment courts. 
There is a great Buddhist monk Ajahn Brahm who said you have the right to believe in anything you want provided it places spiritual principles like harmony, peace and love above all. Indeed, if it is not kind, it is not god. If it is not loving, it is not right. And what is not god… is fear. 
When we say hurtful things to others so we can feel superior, when we hold onto our self righteousness, when we put labels on others… we are choosing conflict over love. If it is a conscious choice to choose a life full of conflict and suffering, I bow my head to you. Personally, I find it quite impossible to live that way without substance abuse. So how do people cope? 
Some people suppress themselves and join the gang of mainstream bullies. They start pursuing power, status and acceptability. The striving of seeming success and respectability becomes the drug of choice. Some people rebel against it and join the world of the misunderstood. Not surprisingly, the end result for both groups are the same and it is not a happy one. 
I’d like to end this discussion with a ‘let’s all hug and be nice’, sing some mantras in the forest.. but reality is far from that. Today, I like to straddle between the two worlds. I believe, the solution begins and ends with each of us choosing love instead of fear. Every day. Every minute of our day. 
We can then start living as fellow human beings. And yes, regardless of our differences. Namaste.

Comments

Popular Posts

Followers