Destination peace

I was scrolling through YouTube feed and as I am an ardent seeker of future desired states of mind... ;) I get fed many forms of ‘spiritual’ talks. From guided meditations to long talks ranging from topics on peace, to getting rid of anxiety and depression, to how to be happy. 

One video caught my attention. It’s a picture of two hands cupping the word peace, promising that destination after a 30 mins guided meditation. 

I started to wonder how this works . If I click on the video, sit there for 30 mins trying to get to peace… running away from whatever state I began with that is probably not peaceful… how does that work? If I reject any feeling at any moment, isn’t that in itself not very peaceful? 

Peace love happiness being sold as a destination is quite worth questioning. If you think about it. Perhaps this moment is not perfect. Perhaps there is anxiety and fear. Perhaps there is a dose of uncertainty and resentment. With a pinch of insecurity. And perhaps… peace love happiness is the acceptance of all of these feelings. At every moment of our existence. 

Well at the very least, I doubt it is in the resistance or rejection of anything to achieve something. And perhaps that’s the only way we can end the violence within. Perhaps it is in the acceptance of our messy human condition that will eventually free us from suffering. Perhaps it’s the resistance that causes suffering in the first place. 

Or at the very least, it might lessen torturous meditation sessions trying to get to…. or away from… peace. I think I will stay put in this moment, in deep acceptance of what is, instead of destination peace. 

‘Awkward in a hundred ways. Clumsy in a thousand and still I go on.’


Comments

Popular Posts

Followers